Hunslet Engine Company (Leeds) 0-4-2ST 3902 of 1971
TRANGKIL No.4 has a special place in the history of the Hunslet Engine Company, having been the last steam locomotive to be built at the Jack Lane Works in Leeds. Although built as recently as 1971, TRANGKIL No.4's pedigree can be traced back to the early years of the twentieth century when Kerr, Stuart Ltd of Stoke-on-Trent introduced their 'Brazil' class, one of a family of standardised designs of narrow gauge locomotives which also included the 'Wren' and 'Tattoo', examples of both of which have visited Statfold.
TRANGKIL No.4 was originally built to 750mm gauge and supplied via Robert Hudson for use on the Trangkil sugar mill estate on the Indonesian island of Java. It worked there for over 30 years until made redundant by rationalisation of the estate's railway system and was returned to the UK in 2004 to become part of the Statfold collection. During a thorough overhaul in the Statfold workshops TRANGKIL No.4 was regauged to 2'0".
TRANGKIL No.4's supplier, Robert Hudson & Co Ltd, were a Leeds-based supplier of industrial railway equipment — anything from a single skip wagon to a complete railway system for a plantation, mine or factory. Hudson's generally manufactured their own track components and rolling stock but supplied locomotives designed and built by established firms such as Hudswell Clarke, Avonside or Kerr Stuart, all of which were ultimately acquired by Hunslet.
Peckette & Sons (Bristol) 0-6-0ST 2050 of 1944
Peckett of Bristol built HARROGATE in 1944 for the Harrogate Gas Works Railway, a 2'0" gauge line known locally in the North Yorkshire town as 'The Barber Line' after the Chairman of the gas company when the railway was opened in 1908. The railway was used to transport coal for gas-making to the works from exchange sidings with the North Eastern Railway at Bilton and by-products from the gas-making process in the opposite direction.
The fact that the company were able to obtain approval to acquire a new locomotive at a time when much of British industry was directed towards the war effort suggests that there was no practical alternative but to replace their two life-expired existing locomotives.
Following closure of the line in 1956, HARROGATE was sold to the Ffestiniog Railway where it was unofficially known as VOLUNTEER. Although gauging trials were carried out in the mid-1980s, the FR ultimately decided that their motive power policy should be principally based on locomotives with a historical association with the railway and so HARROGATE was sold to the private Bredgar & Wormshill Railway in Kent, At Bredgar restoration was completed, including the addition of a traditional style Peckett cab and plates bearing the name HARROGATE, before the locomotive was purchased by Graham Lee's family and brought to Statfold. HARROGATE's predecessor at Harrogate, an 0-6-2ST built by Thomas Green and Son of Leeds and named BARBER is currently undergoing restoration for the South Tynedale Railway, raising the intriguing possibility of the two locomotives being seen in steam together again soon for the first time in over 60 years.
Hunslett Engine Company (Leeds) 0-4-0ST 3903 of 2005
The 'Quarry' class of saddle tank locomotives was the first and arguably most successful 'standard' type of narrow gauge locomotives produced by the Hunslet Engine Company. Around 50 locomotives recognisable as members of the various sub-classes, between which there were a number of size variations and other detail differences such as the shaping of the frames and whether or not a cab was fitted, were built between 1870 and 1932, principally for service in the Dinorwic and Penrhyn slate quarries of North Wales.
Contraction of the slate quarrying industry meant that all were withdrawn from service by the late 1960s, although a good number survived into preservation in Wales, elsewhere in the UK and in North America. Three of these examples are also at Statfold.
Hunslett Engine Company (Leeds) 0-4-0ST 3904 of 2005
The reputation of the 'Quarry' for a combination of robustness, simplicity and performance made it the ideal choice for the Hunslet Steam Company's plans to resume manufacture of narrow gauge steam locomotives. In 2005 key components for a batch of four were ordered and manufacture of STATFOLD began at Statfold Works. After STATFOLD's entry into service in early 2006, assembly of JACK LANE began and was completed in November of the same year. STATFOLD and JACK LANE represent two variants of the 'Quarry'; STATFOLD has an enclosed cab while JACK LANE has an open footplate and a taller chimney in order to keep smoke clear of the footplate.
Since entering service STATFOLD and JACK LANE have become the Statfold Barn Railway's roving ambassadors, sharing visits to a number of heritage railways and other events, including a visit to the original Hunslet works at Jack Lane in Leeds.
PAKIS BARU No.1
Orenstein & Koppel (Berlin) 0-4-0T 614 of 1900
PAKIS BARU No.1 is a relatively early Orenstein & Koppel locomotive which, like a number of others in the Statfold collection, worked for many years on a sugar mill railway in Indonesia. It retains many original features including the distinctive O&K cab and a steam-powered bell, the latter feature having originally been provided in place of the more usual whistle in order not to alarm the oxen used to plough fields and haul carts on the sugar estates. PAKIS BARU No.1 is 2'6" gauge.
Although not an original O&K feature, PAKIS BARU No.1's tender is nevertheless well proportioned and is typical of those gained by many tank locomotives on Indonesian sugar mill railways. This feature ensured that adequate supplies of fuel and water were always available even when collecting wagons loaded with sugar cane out in the fields several miles from the servicing facilities available at the mill. Since restoration at Statfold PAKIS BARU No.1 has run both with and without the tender.
La Meuse (Liege, Belgium)
0-4-0T 3243 of 1926
Statfold's only Belgian locomotive, this 2'6" gauge 0-4-OT was built at the Liege works of La Meuse in 1926 for use at a steelworks in Antwerp. At some point it was rebuilt using parts from a sister locomotive, hence it carries the builder's plate of works number 3355 of 1929.
Initially preserved in Belgium, the locomotive came to the UK in the 1980s and was briefly at the Welshpool & Llanfair Railway, before being purchased for a proposed narrow gauge railway in Pembrokeshire. After that project failed to materialise it came to Statfold via Bredgar. It has steamed occasionally at Statfold and has also visited Chirk and ran on a short length of temporary track at a special event to raise awareness of the project to rebuild part of the Glyn Valley Tramway.
PAKIS BARU No.5
Orenstein & Koppel (Berlin) 0-4-4-0T 1473 of 1905
PAKIS BARU No.5 is a fine example of a 'Mallet', the most numerous type of articulated steam locomotive built, and the oldest of three at Statfold. The type is named after Anatole Mallet, the Swiss engineer credited with successfully applying compounding (using steam more than once) to locomotive design. Statfold's Mallets can trace their origins in terms of both configuration and purpose to the very first example, a 2'0" gauge 0-4-4-OT built in 1888 for Decauville, a prominent French supplier of narrow gauge railway equipment, for demonstration at the 1889 Paris Exhibition as being ideal for estate and industrial use.
The Mallet design has a rigid main frame that supports the rear end of the boiler. At been bu the front of the main frames are the high-pressure cylinders. A sub-frame, carrying a engineer second set of driving wheels powered by low-pressure cylinders, is positioned ahead of Netherlar and pivoted to the main frames. Exhaust steam from the high-pressure cylinders is carried to the low-pressure cylinders through flexible steam pipes, as is the exhaust from the low-pressure cylinders to the blast pipe in the smoke box. The overall Coincidental result is therefore a compact but powerful locomotive able to negotiate relatively tight curves.
Statfold's three Mallets are truly international locomotives - now in the UK after having been built by German manufacturers based on the design principles of a Swiss engineer for use at sugar mills in Indonesia at the time the country was known as the Netherlands East Indies. PAKIS BARU No.5 is 2'6" gauge while the other two are 2'0".
A small number of Mallets remain stored or in seasonal use at sugar mills in Indonesia but it is surely only a matter of time before they are finally withdrawn from service. Coincidentally, the last of over 8,000 Mallets to be built were a batch of three 750mm gauge 0-4-4-2T locomotives built in Japan in 1961 also for use in Indonesia.
SRAGI No.14 (MAX)
Orenstein & Koppel (Berlin) 0-4-4-0T 10750 of 1923
The family likeness between SRAGI No.14 and PAKIS BARU No.1 is immediately apparent as both share the distinctive O&K cab front and short side tanks. Although an 0-6-0, SRAGI No.14 nevertheless has a very compact wheelbase and so was well suited for operation in mill yards. SRAGI No.14 is unusual among the Indonesian sugar mill locomotives preserved at Statfold in that it carries a distinctive name, MAX, in addition to the mill name and fleet number.
Like all the other sugar mill locomotives preserved at Statfold, MAX was part of a fleet of working industrial steam locomotives into the early years of the 21st century. Indeed, Sragi sugar mill on the island of Java is one of a handful of locations where several steam locomotives can still be seen in daily operation during the annual sugar milling season which runs from June to September, although here the railway is now only used between the road vehicle transhipment point and the mill, rail working from the fields having ceased some years ago.
Among the most noticeable changes made during MAX's restoration have been the removal of the spark-arresting chimney and the provision of a modified tender more suited to carrying coal in place of the large box-like space provided at Sragi for carrying the firewood or bagasse (sugar cane waste) which are generally the locomotive fuels of choice at Java's sugar mills.